Saturday, August 21, 2010

Leah's 6th Birthday Party

Leah wanted a tea party theme this year, so we all dressed up as Sarah Palin - oh wait - that's not right... =)

Eight of Leah's girl friends came in their favorite summer dresses to celebrate Leah turning six. We painted finger nails and faces, decorated princess party hats, and made place mats with clear contact paper and pink flower buds (donated by a tree across the street.) The menu included gluten-free rice cracker tea sandwiches (salami & cheese and cucumber & cream cheese), carrots and tomatoes with homemade hummus, farmers market peaches, and homemade cupcakes. They got to pick their tea flavor and doctor it up with (lots of) Amish honey and raw milk.

Based on the smiles below, I would say it was quite a success.




The Sunukjian Tea Parlor


Leah's dear teacher, Rebeca, from last year was the guest of honor and finger nail painter.


And Afia was a trooper to help out with the face painting and hat glue-gunning.


We had lots of help from our new renter Barbara (picture to come) who also took some of these lovely pictures.


And this was the tea pot that I painted during a mother-daughter date to Color Me Mine.


I realized that we didn't have birthday candles so I dug out an old "4" candle and we added the 2 stars to equal 6! And the cupcake is on Grandy's famous birthday plate.


This was my labor of love/creative outlet - a cupcake bouquet. Leah painted the flower pot on our mother-daughter date to Color Me Mine. And these are egg-free vanilla cupcakes (Leah's friend has an egg and nut allergy) with cream cheese and honey frosting. And unlike my sister-in-law who brilliantly used beet juice to color her daughter's frosting pink, I decided at the last minute to use a tube of high fructose corn syrup and red #40 that had been hanging out in the cupboard for over a year. (Lord forgive me.) For those of you who think my healthy food convictions are a little too legalistic - I guess you must be wrong! =)


Gluten free vanilla cupcakes with a chocolate cream cheese honey frosting and sprinkles leftover from another friends cupcake decorating birthday party.


The girls!




Luke helped with set up and then took John and Noelle outside to play baseball (and sweat.) It was nice to have an indoor party this year.


This was the decorated doorway into the Tea Parlor.


And this is the birthday girl. We love you, Leah!

4 comments:

Jessica Fletcher-Fierro said...

I LOVE the cupcake bouquet and all the decorations. How fun! Will you plan my next birthday party?

Kristi said...

How great!!! I will tell you right now that I am stealing some of these ideas. Just to warn you when you see my future blog post about Abigail's tea party :)

Jill said...

I had to laugh when I saw the menu, just knowing that I will be doing the same in 6 years! I was going to comment that you didn't tell us what was in the cupcakes (I was afraid to ask) but was happy to see you threw in some corn syrup for good measure :)

hsunuks said...

Mel! What a great job with your tea party! I can tell it was much appreciated by Leah and all her little friends :) I, too, will have to keep these ideas in mind when Lily is old enough to appreciate it! While I'm sure a little food dye and corn syrup was a hit on the cupcakes, if you want to do an easy natural food coloring, you can also use veggie powders, such as from this site: http://www.barryfarm.com/veggies.htm. Needless to say, it is good to know that you give yourself some freedom in this area :)