I love "before and after" photos.
(Which is, btw, part of the reason that I have such a bizarre affection for reality TV a la Biggest Loser, Home Makeover, What Not To Wear, etc. If we had cable, you'd never hear from me. Anywho...)
Despite my love of such photos, I keep forgetting to take the "before" photo of my own humble makeovers which is why I had to dig up this one of Leah helping with the chores around the house. Behind that cute little girl is a culinary relic. And thanks to the decade that I was born in, it was destined to be mustard yellow. Unsurprisingly, mustard yellow has never been a part of my kitchen dreams. So, after a few cooking malfunctions and a generous Christmas check from Uncle Jeff, we decided on an upgrade.
(Moment of Silence for Yellow Stove who is resting in peace in a Lowe's recycling center somewhere in Southern Maryland.)
S
C
R
O
L
L
D
O
W
N
AND DRUM ROLL PLEASE...
*Cheers and screaming for White Lightning!*
Isn't she perty?! Some of her finer points include:
A storage drawer for baking sheets and muffin pans so I don't have to store them precariously in the top corner cabinet where we used to live in constant fear that they would slide out onto our heads.
A door with an unbroken handle that opens without catching and doesn't emit screeching nails-on-a-chalkboard sounds. It's amazing, the new technology out there.
Sealed burners so food doesn't slip through to provide a mouse buffet under the cooktop. (Fortunately, we have no kitchen critters in this house, but don't get me started about our basement apartment a few years ago. Blech.)
A self-cleaning (which I don't plan to use because of the toxic fumes) interior that is spit-shine clean and not covered with a half-inch and decades worth of a black crud coating. I can pretty much see my reflection.
A viewing window so people can see not to preheat the oven when I've got all my bubbling brews fermenting in there.
A clock, timer, light, delay bake (will I ever use that?) and she MATCHES THE OTHER APPLIANCES! Yippee!
We are grateful to welcome this new member into our humble kitchen family and plan to use her well.

1 comment:
Yay!!! So funny that I actually NEED to read this blog now for updates! The stove looks great...very flush against the countertop :) If anyone deserves a new kitchen, Mel - it's you!
Post a Comment