Saturday, January 9, 2010

Crayon Craft

I confess that I've been saving all the kids crayon nubs (because I can't throw things away), and found a great little craft idea - to melt them down and turn them into "crayon cookies."  (My kids love anything that sounds sugary even if they don't get to eat it.)  


So we peeled all the wrappers off and divided them into mini muffin pans according to color.  


Then we baked them in the toaster oven at 200 degrees for a few minutes and took them out to cool.  And, wallah!


We had a few crayons leftover over, so I melted those in the microwave and poured them into cookie cutters that the kids picked (a football for John and a flower for Leah in case you were unsure) and then set the little crayon chunks in the middle of the flowers while it was still warm.  


The kids loved it.  Mostly.  Lest I sound like Martha Poppins, we were not whistling while we worked or looking like the family in a Pillsbury commercial.  I actually hoped the kids would painstakingly peel the crayon wrappers so I could finish what I was doing on the computer.  Ha!

 Leah had a melt down about how she hated this craft and it was boring and she wanted another craft and then finally said, "I want you to do it with us!"  

That's when it finally hit me (duh) that I should get off the computer and hang out with my kids.  And THEN we ended up having a really good time.  

So I post this as a reminder to us all.  (And also to get a little credit for being crafty.)  

No comments: