Friday, January 22, 2010

Fennel fetish




So my sister-in-law, Heather, is a gourmet gal in the kitchen and I had the pleasure of cooking and talking food with her for over a week during Christmas time.  (You should have seen Jason, her and I drool and gab over the Iron Chef White House edition as we watched with our foodie neighbors, Ivy and Ken.  It's almost criminal that the audience doesn't get to taste what we just watched them create...)

She's been into fennel lately and introduce it to me by roasting it.  YUM.  So then I've been getting fennel from Eastern Market and experimenting as well.  

First, I sliced up the white bulb real thin (this is key) and stir-fried it in butter, garlic and sea salt.  YUM again.  Then I chopped up the dill-looking herby part on top and threw it in an egg scramble, a mayo-based tarter sauce type dip and homemade lox.  YUM cubed.  And just when I thought there was nothing to do with the tough celery-like stalks, I scoured the internet and read that you can add them when you're making broth and that is what I did.  

If you have not tried this lovely and versatile plant, please do.  It's anise-esque flavor adds a unique taste to your meal and it gives great color as well.  Off to get more at the market!

No comments: