While Luke and the kids were at the Arboretum, I got my nesting urge on and reorganized our art supplies/gift wrap cabinet. I repurposed these blue tupperware containers that I hadn't been using for their intended food storage purpose. Unfortunately, I don't have a 'before' picture, but trust me that it was a mess and not very user-friendly. Despite my lack of natural homekeeping skills, I have a real obsession with the good use of space, so this feels really nice.
In the way of nesting, I'm also sweeping under furniture that I haven't looked under for months, laundering everything including the shower curtain liner, weeding through all my maternity clothes, reorganizing the desk and I've made the mistake of calling in three contractors to get estimates for remodeling the kitchen. Talk about bad use of space - ugh! I feel like it's a poor stewardship issue, but I have yet to confirm that biblically...
Of course, the estimates range between 25 and 50 THOUSAND DOLLARS just to update everything (floors, cabinets, countertops, lighting, paint, electrical, range and hood) and knock out a useless, poorly placed closet to extend the space. So I'm letting go of the dream until we win the lottery and trying to get creative.
It seems backwards that in our culture you can't afford a new and useful kitchen until your kids are out of the house and you're using it less, but what can you do? And I am also trying to remember that my inherent sense of entitlement to a good and aesthetic kitchen space is very American as well. My current kitchen is better than much of the worlds'. Perhaps I should invest our money in solar ovens for third world mothers so they and their children aren't breathing in smoke and walking miles for firewood just to cook a meal.
Huh. All of a sudden, my kitchen doesn't seem so bad.

2 comments:
Very impressive nesting...can't wait to see new pics of UBS #3.
Good reminder on the kitchen thing. I have a spacious but very, um, vintage kitchen. Original appliances and all in a lovely "harvest gold" shade. I won't go on and on complaining about it but I really dislike my kitchen. Fortunately, since we're renting, and moving, I don't have to live with it much longer. But I shouldn't complain so much about a perfectly adequate kitchen.
Post a Comment