Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Freedom of Dress

This is what John looks like when I dress him.


And this is what John looks like when he dresses himself.  


I have my share of weird mom hang-ups.  I can't do shoes on the wrong feet and despite being a non-neat nick, I can get really tense when they want to help me in the kitchen because of the potential mess.  I'm not a short order cook, so "you get what you get, you don't throw a fit and you're grateful for it" and I have a zero tolerance rule for ear piercing screams - even if you're bleeding.  

But I totally love when my kids dress themselves.  They are regularly mismatched and disheveled, but there's something about it that is really beautiful and counter-cultural.  

So dress to express, guys!   

1 comment:

ginger said...

dress to express. i love it. i read this recently and thought of you http://milestonesacademy.blogspot.com/2008/03/baby-is-lesson-by-diane-hopkins.html