Every year a group of moms and administrators at Leah's school hosts this event. The auditorium was decorated and full of kids with their moms, aunts, sisters, guardians, etc.
The older grades did a cute poem presentation on mothers.
This is the kindergarten table. They had crayons, markers, stickers and butterfly coloring sheets that the girls decorated and hung up on the wall. They also went around and shared something that they appreciated about our moms. They were all food-related. =)
This is Leah's classmate, Alanna. Her mom died a couple years ago and she asked if she could sit next to me at the lunch. I was honored.
This is Erika and Amani,
Io and Ivy,
and Shale and her daughters, Zinnia and Lily.
This picture captures some "jockeying for the prime position" drama. Leah did not want to be in the back of the picture.
As well, even though Leah had talked about this for weeks and was thrilled that it was also on my birthday, when I took all the girls from their class to the table, she did not want to sit next to me. She explained that she wanted to sit next to her friends because she doesn't get to sit next to ALL of them very much.
We had a good conversation later that afternoon about how I was disappointed that we didn't sit next to each other at the lunch because I was looking forward to sharing that time with her as it was a special event for mothers. She seemed to understand.
I have to admit that it is sometimes hard to know how to handle Leah's extreme social desires as well as some other attitudinal issues that she has developed this year. We'd appreciate your prayers in this regard as we seek God for wisdom and direction in how to best parent her through them.
Regardless, I love her and (despite the fried chicken, mac and cheese, cookies and soda) it was a good experience to hang out with her and her sweet friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment