Sunday, December 21, 2008

The 3rd and 4th Weeks of Advent

I am mom enough to admit that our third Sunday of Advent celebration was pretty bare bones.  Dinner was late, the kids were close to meltdown, and we were all exhausted.  So we lit our candles, read a few verses, and sang (complete with hand motions) "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" as it is Leah's new favorite song ever.

Tonight was a bit better as we read through the "Silent Night" devotional in Christ in the Carols and sang it together (again with the hand motions.)  And we finished the last chapter of Mary's First Christmas by Walter Wangerin.  It's a unique retelling of the Christmas story with great foreshadowing and precious illustrations - we all loved it.  


The kids also decorated a little tree with a few special ornaments that we've received over the years.  Not that anyone's asking, but I feel the need to defend my "minimalist Christmas decor" philosophy.  I'm just not into spending money to acquire stuff that I have to find space to display in my already cluttered house and then clean up and find space to store for the other 11 months of the year.  It's not even that I don't appreciate pretty Christmas decorations, I just don't feel like I have to own them.  We will be enjoying numerous sites around the city this Christmas that are beautifully decorated and then I get to come home and breathe a sigh of relief as I sit in my living room that doesn't look like Santa Claus threw up all over it.  


One of the aforementioned fun Christmas traditions in DC is a Live Nativity put on by National Community Church at a local park near our house.  This little boy has been the baby Jesus for 3 years in a row.  


The kids get to pet all sorts of animals.  This shepherd had to keep the goats apart so as not to traumatize the children with their procreation shenanigans.


John's fear of four-legged creatures extended to this llama.  Ya know, the ol' "Christmas llama."

And this here is Leah posing next to the backside of a donkey.  
I'll let you create your own caption.  

1 comment:

Jessica Fletcher-Fierro said...

1. The Christmas llama reminds me of the movie Love Actually, where the daughter is "1st Lobster" in the nativity pageant. Emma Thompson says, "You mean there was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus?"

2. Any caption I could think of involved me calling Leah a jackass, which is not only not nice, but also not true. But, it made me giggle. Nice blogging. :)