Sunday, September 13, 2009

New Jersey Triathlon

So we headed off to the beach for our annual triathlon trip, although this time we ended up in Ocean City, New Jersey.  No one warned us that the tolls on the infamous NJ turnpike are a literal example of highway robbery.  And the boardwalk was the perfect study in noise pollution and hardened arteries.  But other than that, we loved it.  

Seriously, though, the weather was great and Luke finished in 1 hour and 15 minutes - 10 minutes under his goal!  

And we all tasted a "banana whip" which is an ice cream textured dessert made by sending frozen, ripe bananas through a juicer.  It was crazy how the texture changed.  Right before our eyes.  I can't believe I'm still writing about this....  


So I got two or three really bad pictures of Luke all blurry or far away and then the batteries ran out.  And then the girl next to us had some extra batteries, so I took these pictures.  


This is Emily who completed her first sprint triathlon!  She's already talking about strategies for the next one.  Good job, Em!



The kids were a great cheering section for Luke and made the triathlon even more fun for him.  He says it made him want to go EVEN FASTER.


Layo and Emily joined us for the weekend and we all had a great time.  Next year is my turn, so start praying for me now!  

1 comment:

kirsten said...

Go, Mel go!! And congrats to Luke!! :o)