Saturday, March 1, 2008

My first successful loaf!


I've attempted to bake bread a few times in my shallow cooking career and let's just say they're not kidding about the brick metaphor. But because of our gluten sensitivity, we can't just use normal flours or quick bread recipes. So with another burst of inspiration from my bread making mentor, Leslie, this is a spelt and oat sourdough loaf. Ain't she a beauty? It looks like one of those artisan loaves you buy off a street vendor in Europe. And it TASTES GOOD! Crusty on the outside, moist on the inside, and a hint of sweet from the 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.

I made two batches and put one in a loaf pan just to experiment and get a different shape for sandwiches, etc.

I refuse to type out the detailed instructions, but I will tell you that it came from this book.

(By the way, don't mock the stove. You must respect your elders.)

2 comments:

cbpaschall said...

Hey Melanie! Danny just told me about your blog, I'm so excited! I will be a faithful reader just so you know.

Carrie P.

Brynne28 said...

Mel! Stumbled upon your blog via link from another link to another link. Gotta love this internet thing. Love you so!